If you’re trying to lose weight, you can’t afford to live on pretzels and low-calorie kale chips. The good news is that sandwiches are the perfect diet food. They are easy, portable, and delicious. You can also slather them with healthy sauces without feeling too bad about it. Let’s take a look at the 12 best healthy sandwiches for weight loss.
Before we get to that, let’s see what a healthy sandwich should have…
How to Make Healthy Sandwiches?
Making a healthy sandwich is no easy task, especially when you’re trying to include things like bacon and eggs. But we’ve spent the time and effort to find the best tips for making delicious and satisfying sandwiches.
So, how to make a healthy sandwich?
Choose Whole Grain Bread
One of the best things you can do to start off your sandwiches on the right foot is to use whole grains. Whole grains are good for you because they’re rich in fiber and nutrients, without excessive amounts of sugar or unhealthy fats. Whole-grain bread is better because you are not just getting carbohydrates for your meal, but also some vitamins and minerals.
Put Lean Meat
Another way to make healthy sandwiches is to use lean meat. Lean meats have less fat than fattier meats, which makes them better choices if you’re trying to reduce fat intake in your diet. If you have trouble staying away from higher-fat meats, opt for white meat rather than red meat when buying poultry.
Take a look at the best protein sources below to include in your diet:
Add Lots of Vegetables
Add vegetables to your sandwiches. Vegetables add fiber to your sandwich and also other benefits such as antioxidants and nutrients like vitamin C. The best vegetable choices for sandwiches are leafy greens like spinach or lettuce, cucumbers, or tomatoes. Fresh vegetables can be eaten raw while cooked vegetables should be warmed before adding them to the sandwich.
If you want to know, which vegetables are the best for weight loss, check the article below:
Put Mustard instead of Mayonnaise
If you need a little extra flavor in your sandwich, spread mustard on your bread before adding ingredients. Mustard is great for you because it contains vinegar and other natural ingredients that help keep your digestive system healthy. And it’s surprisingly low in fat and calories, especially compared to mayonnaise.
Don’t Put Unhealthy Fillings
And finally, the best way to make healthy sandwiches is not to use high-fat or high-sugar fillings like mayonnaise, cheese, and cream cheese. Instead of these fillings which can cause you to eat more than you need, choose milder grilling flavors such as mustard or vinaigrette for your sandwich instead.
Healthy Sandwiches for Weight Loss
The best part is that there are so many types of sandwich – so no matter your taste preference or your dietary needs (lactose intolerant? Vegan?), we’ve got the perfect sandwiches for you:
- Ricotta and Prosciutto Sandwich – Try this for a decadent treat! It’s cheesy and salty with a little bit of sweetness from apples or honey.
- Oven-Baked Turkey and Feta Sandwich – If you’re watching your carbs and counting calories, this is for you. Trim down the fat by using lean turkey instead of sausage or bacon.
- BLT Sandwich – The classic sandwich everyone should know about. A great option for those who aren’t as fond of spinach as other veggies like tomatoes and cucumbers. Oysters added to this recipe ensure that the sandwich is loaded with protein. This one is a bit more expensive, but it’s worth every penny!
- Chicken Breast Sandwich – Packed with proteins, vitamins, and minerals, this chicken breast sandwich has it all. You can find it at most grocery stores.
- Tuna Salad Sandwich – A classic sandwich that doesn’t require much effort or preparation at all. You can make your homemade tuna salad whenever you need to eat healthy for the day.
- The Egg Sandwich – Eggs are a great source of protein, B vitamins, and choline. Egg whites are also cholesterol-free and contain lutein and zeaxanthin that help prevent macular degeneration.
- Taco Salad Sandwich – The next time you’re really craving Mexican food, this will do the trick. The lettuce recipe calls for romaine lettuce, but any kind of lettuce can be used.
- Pastrami Sandwich – This is a pulled pork sandwich piled high with lots of toppings. You can also make these at home with regular or low-fat deli meat.
- Veggie Hummus Sandwich – Skip the mayo and go for hummus instead. You can keep it simple with sliced tomato or cucumber or you can be creative and add your favorite veggies, feta cheese, and even tuna to the mixture.
- Turkey Cheese Sandwich – If you’re not a fan of peanut butter, you can still have a sandwich for your morning breakfast with turkey slices and sharp cheddar.
- Roasted Veggie Tofu Sandwich – It’s healthy, tastes great, and has protein from both tofu and broccoli. This sandwich is a must!
- Cuban Sandwich – A cheap version of a pulled pork sandwich. It’s great to have around during the summer months when barbecues are in full swing.
We explained how should a healthy sandwich look like and give 12 healthy sandwiches for weight loss. Make sure to eat these sandwiches moderately, if you eat like; let’s say 3-4 sandwiches a day, these sandwiches can also make you gain weight easily.
Eat these healthy sandwiches for weight loss and exercise regularly.
You can also try carb cycling for weight loss:
Thank you for reading.
Also, if you want to help us, please share this image!