Do you believe you’re getting enough fiber daily? Well, an average American consumes 15 grams of fiber, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends 25 grams per day for women and 38 grams per day for men! (1) The research indicates that people are NOT getting enough fiber daily at all. Maybe you are looking for a faster, more reliable solution because of that; we’ve done thorough research and found 7 best supplements for fiber. But, before we get to that, we’ll go through some important things you should know related to fiber.
If you want to lose weight with fiber-rich foods, check our list “27 Super Foods for Weight Loss That Will Make You Lose Belly Fat Quickly!”.
Note: This article named “7 Best Supplements for Fiber that Will Make You Slimmer” was served after a throughout research on fiber supplements and their benefits. Still, we have to indicate that the content of this article should not be considered as medical advice. Please reach out to a professional health consultant, if you have serious health problems.
What is Fiber Supplement Good for?
Fiber has so many benefits like; reducing cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar, and make you lose weight.
One of the most important detail you should know about fiber is; it will help you digest food better by helping your gut. So, if you are suffering from constipation and bowel irregularity, getting fiber supplementation can give you a short-term solution. Also, it can feed the “good” bacteria you have in your gut, which will make your immune system function better. (2)
Let’s list more benefits of fiber supplements:
- Fiber supplements make sure your bowels work properly.
- Fiber can make you lose weight by making you feel satiated, which makes you eat less noticeably. Also, you’ll be able to defecate easier.
- You can stop being constipated by eating fibrous food and drinking a lot of water. Taking fiber supplements can also be viewed as an easier way to deal with constipation.
- Soluble fiber can lower your cholesterol. For example, soluble fiber can lower the low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol in your bloodstream. In fact, soluble fiber stops LDL cholesterol from being absorbed and gets rid of it through defecation.
- Fiber may lower blood pressure. For instance, making your diet more fibrous can help you have lower blood pressure according to this study. (3)
- It is great for your heart. When getting your daily fiber affects your cholesterol levels and blood pressure, it automatically means better heart health.
- It can reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Fiber can achieve this by making your gut function better and getting rid of the unwanted fat molecules. You can check the research here. (4)
- Fiber supplements stop blood sugar spikes. When it comes to the glycemic index, soluble fiber is much lower compared to other foods. Indeed, you can simply put more fiber in your diet to prevent your blood sugar from spiking.
- Preventing diverticulitis. So, one of the causes of diverticulitis is constipation. When you can’t digest your food properly and make it past through your colon, it can get infected in your gut, which will lead to diverticulitis. (5)
- Fiber may reduce the risk of some cancer types. There are two studies that we’ve found about fiber consumption and cancer prevention. (6) (7)
These benefits must be enough for you to take a look at the best supplements for fiber.
Fiber Supplements for Weight Loss
As we’ve mentioned in the list of benefits of fiber supplements, fiber can help you lose weight in a couple of ways like:
First, fiber makes you feel satiated because it takes longer to digest fiber.
Second, fiber can absorb fat molecules in your gut and get them out of your system. (8)
Also, fiber supplements are recommended by dieticians for weight loss. (9) Although, we have to give a warning that, waiting for fiber supplements to do magical work for weight loss, would be absurd. You can’t lose fat only by taking some pills, even though if you do, it wouldn’t be sustainable. Whenever you fall back to your old habits, you’ll rapidly gain the weight you’ve lost. So, the only possible way to really lose weight is; by eating moderately, exercising regularly, and managing your stress. Above all, you have to keep yourself in check.
Fiber Supplements Vs Food
You can get your fiber from; fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and beans. But, if you can’t keep loyal to your diet by getting your daily fiber need, you should think about fiber supplements. However, supplements can’t replace real foods. Supplements are there for you to assist your daily nutritional requirements; we are not living in the future that taking pills can substitute for eating food… yet.
How Much Fiber Per Day is Enough?
The recommended daily fiber intake per day should be around 20 to 30 grams. (10) Nevertheless, the majority of the people in the United States only consume around 15 grams. You should have a healthier and more balanced diet that includes fibrous foods like fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. Still, including fiber supplements in your daily life can improve your life quality.
I hope we’ve cleared the air on some fiber-related questions you had. Now, let’s take a look at the 7 Best Supplements for Fiber.
7 Best Supplements for Fiber
NOW’s Psyllium Husk Powder is a powerful and quality fiber supplement that helps with bowel irregularities. Insoluble fiber supplements are better against constipation, and psyllium husk is a kind of soluble fiber. This powder will absorb the water you hold in your stomach and guts, which will help you defecate without causing diarrhea.
You can take this powder by mixing one tablespoon of it with 12 ounces of water. If you take it every day, a tablespoon of it will give you a boost of 7 grams of dietary fiber. Also, it has 8% of your daily iron needs.
If you don’t want to drink this powder with water, simply mix it with flour to make cakes, cookies, muffins, etc.
If you prefer not to bake anything or drink it with water, you can choose the capsulated form of this psyllium husk powder too.
There is a study done on high cholesterol that shows, in the United States, 12.4% of adults had high total cholesterol. (11) Check out this article to see more facts on high cholesterol. (12) If you are not able to lower cholesterol through your diet, fiber supplements may help you with that.
Metamucil has plenty of psyllium fiber that’s soluble fiber, per teaspoon it has three grams of fiber, including two grams of soluble fiber. Additionally, you’ll be able to control your appetite and digest your food better.
This is the cheapest and the most convenient fiber supplement on the list. Each pack has 3 grams of fiber; you can simply put it in your drink, and it will dissolve quickly. Adding to that, Benefiber has wheat dextrin in it, which is prebiotic; prebiotics is dietary fibers that help the “good” bacteria in your gut. In fact, wheat dextrin will also improve your overall health by helping your digestion.
Benefiber is sugar-free and does not change the taste of your drink. If you want to have your fiber supplement with you at all times, this could be one of the best supplements for fiber you can choose.
If you are looking for fiber supplements for kids; Fiber Choice gummies are easily eatable, because of their taste. Also, it’s made with inulin, which is a prebiotic fiber that is found in many fruits and vegetables. In fact, prebiotics helps the “good” bacteria in your digestive system by strengthening them. As we’ve mentioned before, feeding your “good” bacteria help your immune system to function better. This makes this one of the best supplements for fiber.
Besides that, it’s a quite rich source of vitamin B6 and B12. They both help your metabolism and give you energy throughout the day. Only one serving of gummies has 3 to 4 grams of prebiotic fiber. So, for example, you should take around three servings daily to support your daily fiber need.
GoBiotix is a prebiotic fiber supplement that is suitable for vegan and keto diets because it’s made of an organic and food-based blend. Consequently, you won’t be bloated anymore.
Besides that, it’s flavorless and sugar-free like the majority of the supplements on the list. As we’ve recommended before, you can mix this supplement with anything you want, including smoothies and shakes.
This supplement can end your digestive problems and also help you lose weight.
One serving of Vitafusion Fiber offers 5 grams of fiber and has 6 B vitamins; your metabolism will work better because of it. Besides that, this soluble fiber will help your digestion, prevent any bowel irregularities and provide your “good” bacteria with the prebiotic it needs.
This could be one of the best supplements for fiber you can get for unhappy guts.
This psyllium husk powder is naturally sourced and, it has %70 soluble fiber and %30 insoluble. Equally important, it can be integrated into a healthy diet like keto.
Psyllium husk is super helpful for conserving your digestive health by assisting your colon functions.
We’ve listed the 7 best supplements for fiber in this list. Also, most importantly, we’ve talked about the benefits of fiber; in one sentence, the possible benefits are:
- Make bowels work better.
- Help you lose weight.
- Feed the “good” bacteria.
- End constipation.
- Lower your cholesterol levels.
- Stabilize your blood pressure.
- Make your heart healthier.
- Reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Stop the unwanted blood sugar spikes.
- Preventing diverticulitis.
- May reduce the risk of some cancer types.
As you can see, whether you take fiber through supplements or food, implementing a diet that’s rich in fiber can improve your health.
Have you found our list helpful? Let us know your experience with fiber supplements. Thank you for your feedback!
Also, if you want to help us please share this image!